If you are handling your divorce without a lawyer and need to transfer title to real estate, you will need to have a deed signed and filed with the Recorder of Deeds in the county where the property is located.  Most often, the transfer of real property incident to a divorce is done using a quit claim deed (not  “quick claim deed” as many folks mistakenly call it).  In some circumstances,  a deed other than a quit claim deed is appropriate. Attorney Kenneth Carp, who has handled real estate matters for more than 25 years in St. Louis and St. Charles, has prepared this basic summary of the different types of deeds in Missouri.  Copy and paste this link to read it. http://www.kcarplaw.com/st-louis-deeds/.  Of course, real estate matters can be complicated and mistakes can be catastrophically expensive.   If you have any doubt or concern about the form or type of deed to use, it is best to consult with an experienced real estate attorney in the state where the real estate is located.