Seven Reasons NOT to Ignore a Notice from the Family Support Center
- If you do not respond and participate in the proceedings, you may be ordered to pay too much child support.
- If you do not respond and be part of the proceedings, you might be ordered to carry health insurance for your child when you do not have insurance available through work.
- If you do not participate and do not read the child support decision, you will not know that you are supposed to pay child support but the amount due will just keep on growing.
- If you do not participate and do not read the child support decision, interest will run at 12% a year on the child support is not being paid.
- If you get far enough behind, they can take your driver’s license.
- If you get even farther behind, you can get a felony conviction and spend time on probation and even in prison.
- If the mother of your children has received public assistance for them, even if she does not want money, the State wants you to pay.