1. Encourage your child to have a good time. Unconditionally.
2. Be certain that your child at least has a card. For younger children, making a card works. For older children, make certain the child has money and a trip to the store.
3. Give the child the option to make or buy a gift. Making cookies or a craft with your child takes some of the sting out of doing something nice for “that guy.” It’s not a competition, it’s a gesture. Dollar Tree or Five Below anyone?
4. Remember to treat the father the way that you want to be treated, whether or not you are treated that way. Do this every day, not just this day.
5. Give your child a gift yourself: the right to love his or her father.
For other articles about various interesting topics, visit www.thecarsonlawfirm.com and click on the Virtual Coffee Break tab.